Why I hate Christmas




What's that? I'm a monster? How can I hate Christmas? Let me tell you now, I've got a list as long as my bloody arm as to why I hate Christmas. Maybe it's not so much Christmas I hate, more what it means nowadays. No-one really cares about the birth of Jesus anymore, especially when we live in a time of more atheists than religious people. No-one really cares about spending time with their families on the day, more what presents they got. In British culture it really is all about getting pissed and falling asleep in front of the T.V. Though, I suppose that's been the norm for decades. 🎅🎄

Unfortunately we now live in a world where Christmas means consumerism. Skinting ourselves every year to buy presents for the people that we love, even though we could show that in a million other ways without spending money. And what's worse, is we feel forced to buy presents for the relatives and friends that we don't really love, people we don't really care about, but if we didn't buy them gifts, it would make us look bad because they bought us some first. It's all a load of nonsense. Who can one-up the other? Who has the most beautiful tree? Who got Coco Chanel perfume and a Marc Jacobs bag off their fella? And what poor soul didn't? Who got a new car? Who went abroad to the Maldives and and came back with a tan? Who got the most drunk and passed out whilst playing Monopoly with their 15 cousins and aunts, fat and bloated with Christmas pudding and Brandy? Just leave it 🙅 

My Christmas tree is stuck in my attic, and I can't get to it until I can borrow some ladders off my dad. I asked him yesterday if he could bring them round, but stated fervently that I wasn't bothered if we just went without one this year. He looked at me like I'd pissed on his shoes, and said "You can't not have a tree! I'll be round with the ladders tomorrow!" But I bloody mean it. Kids or no kids, I honestly couldn't give one whether or not we put any decorations up this year. It's just more mess for me to clean up 🙋 (I know, I know, I'm awful). So here's some more reasons why this holiday has fast become one of my most dreaded as I've got older.


Christmas starts in September


Even if you're a Christmas lover, you've got to admit this is true. This year, half of the Card Factory shop in my town had been taken over by a Christmas cards section. Like, literally an entire wall. I couldn't believe my eyes. IT WAS SEPTEMBER. Halloween hadn't even happened yet, and there they were, seeming to mock me through the window. On a related note, my mum isn't one to leave her Christmas shopping late. Rather, she shops throughout the year, so by the time September does come around, she has every thing. But for the people who haven't done that, LIKE ME, and for the people who haven't got the money to throw away on Xmas gifts before the end of bloody summer, we really don't need to see all that shit. It wouldn't surprise me if next year, Christmas displays were put up in August. I mean, why the hell not just make it Christmas all year, seeing as it's shoved in our faces for 4 months straight! Just bugger off. 🎄


Christmas on Social Media


Social media has always made me detest people that I like in real life. I guess all of us have an online persona, but I like to think that what I put out there on social media is exactly how I am in person. (Let's just say I don't take professional photos of my breakfast every day just because it looks aesthetically pleasing). The same goes for people (plebs) who start posting Christmas shit again, far too early. And as soon as the Coca Cola or John Lewis adverts come on, everyone starts going fucking mental and decides that they're going to go ahead and put their tree up, and then spread it all over Facebook and Instagram to their friends, despite the fact it's still November. Just chill the fuck out. I get the feeling that for some people, it's a case of jumping on the bandwagon. Like they have the mentality of; oh, well so and so has put her tree up, posted it on FB and got 36 likes on it so I'm going to as well. No. Just stop being a sheep and put your decorations up when it's actually December, ya know, THE ACTUAL MONTH OF CHRISTMAS. ✋

Christmas means Consumerism


As mentioned in my introduction, it's all about who got what. I honestly hate it when my friends and family ask me every year; what do you want for Christmas? My answer is always; I don't know, and I don't really care. I don't bloody need or want anything. I have everything I need. I have a family, two gorgeous children, and people in my life who love me. So whether or not they spend £100 on me doesn't really matter. I love them the same even if they bought me nothing. But unfortunately there are a couple of people I know who would hold it against me if I didn't get them anything, and that to me is the probably the saddest thing ever. (Yes, I give in and get them something anyway, anything for a quiet life 🙈🙉🙊). I saw a meme the other day that said, America; the only place in the world that will kill each other for discounted products (meaning Black Friday) only a day after they were thinking about what they were grateful for (Thanksgiving). The hypocrisy isn't lost on me, and I guess not on any one else. I know many people who love Christmas that hate this consumerism side of it too, but unfortunately we live in a world where if you don't buy any body in your family a gift, you're considered a 'Scrooge' or a 'Grinch', or just not a nice person. Personally I hate it, and I think Christmas would be so much more meaningful, and magical without gifts. Which brings me to my next point:


"It's all for the kids though isn't it"



I really, truly hate this quote. (answers on a postcard for how many times I've typed the words hate and Christmas already before this blog post has even finished). 😏 Whenever people ask me, 'Are you excited for Christmas?' and I give them the evils and say in the most moodiest voice; No. They retort, 'Oh, don't be so miserable! It's not about you though is it, it's about the kids. Are you not excited for the kids? Erm, again, no. Why would I be? Hey kids, let's celebrate today by opening a load of objects that you've been tricked into thinking will make you happy, and then let's stuff our faces with loads of dead animals, sweets and chocolate all because I've decided you've been good this year. And let's do this every year, until you grow up and realise that all the magic of Christmas has gone, and you're now a working adult who has to spend your entire paycheck of November on objects for other people and teach your kids the same soul-less thing. Gah! It's depressing! I love my children to death, and spoiling them rotten with toys and presents is just one crappy way in which to show them that I love them. Of course I want to see them happy, and yes of course to some extent Christmas is for the kids, it can be beautiful and magical for them, and I will say now that I will never spoil that for them despite my disdain for it.

The Magic is gone



Ranting over. Now I'm going to be a little more personal, and explain probably the most upsetting reason why Christmas just isn't for me any more. As I've mentioned before in previous posts, my Grandmother was the most precious person in my life. She passed away almost ten years ago when I was 17, and since then I guess there's just been a void at Christmas that any one or any thing can't fill.

Christmas at hers was magical. Last Christmas morning, The Snowman was on T.V, and the walking in the air song came on, and memories of me watching this at my Grandma's on Christmas eve night came to me. I swear I never wanted to be anywhere else. I wish I could go back and experience that, being warm in the living room with her watching it, enormous piles of Christmas gifts under the tree all for me, and I already knew what they all were because I had been snooping upstairs in her locked wardrobe. (There was always Polly Pockets, even when I was too old for them.)

And I remember her helping me to leave out a small glass of milk and mince pie for Santa, and by the time I came downstairs in the morning, the glass would be empty, and the mince pie tray would have little crumbs in it left behind. I genuinely believed he came to visit. Probably because there was more magic in her house than any other I'd ever been in. I still dream about it now. As much as I love the family I still have, there just isn't as much magic at Christmas with her gone.

🎄🎄🎄

I'm sorry to end this post on such a sad note. And I'm sure there are many of you reading this who feel the same as me; who have lost someone precious to them, and instead of Christmas being a happy time for you, it's just a reminder of people you've lost. And it makes it hard to cope. I understand there are people out there much worse than me, living on the streets, going hungry who don't have families at Christmas time. For some people, it truly is the worst time of the year. And so here I've listed a few help lines for people who need someone to talk to throughout the festive period.


The Samaritans - 116 123 (open 365 days a year)
The Silver Line helpline for the elderly - 0800 4 70 80 90
NSPCC - 0808 800 5000
MIND for suicidal feelings - 0300 123 3393
Centrepoint for emergency accommodation - 0800 23 23 20

🎄🎄🎄


Despite all of this, I can promise you that this Christmas I will not be sat there with a frown on my face, nor will I be going out of my way to make people unhappy. Instead I will be thinking about how blessed I am to have the people around me who love me unconditionally, who would do anything for me, and who I hope I will have with me every Christmas until I die. Until next week!

Violet x 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Work it Out helped me

Amsterdam dreams

Why I left Facebook