I'm going Vegan for 30 days






Yesterday, on the official PETA website, I signed a 30 day pledge to go Vegan. In the past 24 hours I've already discovered pretty much every thing I use on a daily basis is not cruelty free, or at least not from a cooperation that completely bans animal testing. I think one of the most surprising discoveries I've made so far is that brown sugar (probably something as far removed from animals as you can get) is deemed not safe to eat for Vegans. After doing some googling, I came across this:

“British Sugar, trading as Silver Spoon (the largest UK supplier) state that their white sugar is vegan but they cannot guarantee their brown sugars as some bone charcoal may be used by their suppliers.”

How nuts is that! How the hell are these things being sold on shelves every where as if that's normal?! All I've been doing for the past couple of days is researching into every thing about going Vegan. Things like, is my toothpaste from a cruelty free company? No. Is my shower gel from a cruelty free company? No. Are gummy bears Vegan? Nope. Is Yorkshire tea Vegan?! Yes!! (Praise the Lord!)

The effort that I'm making to find out these things is far from exhaustive. Especially when I think about all of the animals in the world that are being bred, exploited and killed just to end up somewhere in my house, or worse, in my stomach. So why aren't more people Vegan with this information at their fingertips?*




I'm not a complete dum dum. I knew that big companies like Pampers and Maybelline test on animals, but I didn't think it would go as far as animal bones being in the sugar I buy to bake cakes with. It's absolutely insane. There's so many alternatives out there, yet there's still no enforced laws in place to stop this from happening.

I was gonna write about the wrongs that happen to billions of farmed animals every day, but that's another rant for another time. And I'm pretty sure every body knows to some extent where their meat and dairy products actually come from, and how crappy their lives actually are. 

I'm really excited to see where these next 30 days are going to take me. By no means am I trying to be 'preachy' and by no means am I judging any body who does eat meat. I literally had pork and tomato sausages two days ago. It doesn't really make a difference to me what you do. I don't care, and I don't think I'm better than you because of my diet and life style change. I think this is why some Vegans get a bad rep. The most important things for me are the benefits for my personal health, and the positive impacts I can have on the planet and for the animals by doing this. By going Vegan I can save around 198 animals a year. And that is motivation enough for me.

Keep your eyes peeled in 30 days time for my conclusion on how my pledge has gone 
πŸŒΎπŸŒπŸ’πŸ‘πŸŒ±πŸ‘πŸ‡πŸ„

* For anyone who is considering transitioning to a Vegan lifestyle, I urge you to watch this short film about what really goes on in farms across the UK, with footage from this year. Viewer discretion is advised as footage is very upsetting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvtVkNofcq8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Work it Out helped me

Amsterdam dreams

Why I left Facebook